The scenic Ötztal Glacier Road ranks among the highest mountain roads in the Eastern Alps, leading from the holiday resort of Sölden up to the glacier ski slopes on Rettenbach Glacier and Tiefenbach Glacier.
Please note: the Glacier Road is a toll road!
- Road length: Sölden - Rettenbach Glacier: approx. 13 km
- Rettenbach Glacier - Tiefenbach Glacier approx. 3 km
- Average elevation gain: 11%
- Maximum elevation gain: 13%
- Altitude Rettenbach Glacier 2.675 m
- Altitude Tiefenbach Glacier 2.820 m
- Highest point: 2.820 m
Both Rettenbach Glacier and Tiefenbach Glacier have extensive car parks.
- Rettenbachglacier: Cars/Busses (850/40)
- Tiefenbachglacier: Cars/Busses (1100/40)
The two glaciers are connected to each other by the spectacular spectacular "Rosi Mittermaier Tunnel"(length 1.750 m), Europe's highest road tunnel.
The glaciers are accessible for heavy trucks (lorries up to 38 tons) and buses without any problem. Snow chains and steel tracks might be required troughout the year!
Due to the unique location of the Glacier Road amidst high Alpine regions, leading up to 2.800 m above sea level, there exists always a risk of sudden unexpected precipitation or drop in temperature. It is warmly recommended to provide the necessary equipment at any time of the year.